What is a "Default" Address?
A default address is an email address designated to accept emails sent to invalid / undefined email addresses.
For example, if your domain is example.com and someone sends an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you do not have that email address set up as an email account or email forwarder, you can either reject emails like that or have that forwarded to another address.
You usually only turn on default addresses if you have some software processing the email for you at the email address you are forwarding to.
Directions & Video Tutorial
How to setup a Default Address in cPanel. Video shows the Paper Lantern cPanel theme, but the steps will be the same no matter which theme you use.
To set up the default address or turn it off:
- Log into cPanel
- Look for the Email section, and click on the Default Address icon.
- Select the domain name you wish to update.
- Select one of the following:
- Discard with error to sender (turns off default address).
- Forward to Email Address and enter the forwarding address (turns on default address).
- Click on the Change button.
Settings Apply to Whole Domain
These settings are for the entire domain name. If you want more control, you should select “discard with error to sender” for all undefined email addresses and instead define specific email accounts or enable email forwarding.